On, Act Naturally, the vocal duo of Gary Larsen and Nora Patterson provide heartfelt lyrics as the musicians travel through lavish, synth-infused soundscapes, boasting a brand all to itself that’s not quite “dance pop” and not quite electronic. Leadoff track “Wild” finds Patterson’s crystalline vocal hooks bounding in joyous romps over Larsen’s grounded narrative. The tune starts the EP like a warning siren, and it doesn’t let go from there. The catchy tune gained rapid traction in early 2012 launching Royal Teeth into the spotlight as the song found its way into a Canadian Buick Commercial in addition to Fox featuring the song in its winter promotion.
Also on the EP is the band’s bold rendition of The Knife’s 2003 hit “Heartbeats” which sounds like a long-lost New Wave hit from the early ’80s, bubbling over with dance floor pulses and thick kick drum echoes. Royal Teeth effortlessly makes this familiar song its own without having to radically reinvent the style of the track or jeopardize the character of the band.
- My Donna
- For Keeps
- Act Naturally
- All songs written by Royal Teeth except "Heartbeats" originally written by The Knife
- Produced by Eric Bass
- Mastered by Dave Cooley and Elysian Mastering
- “Wild” mixed by Tony Hoffer all other songs mixed by Eric Bass
- Engineered by Eric Rickert and Jeff Leonard Jr
- Recorded at Ocean Industries Recording Studio in Charleston, SC